It might seem like beach volleyball has been a staple forever with how popular it’s gotten lately, but there was a time when it wasn’t a college sport or even an Olympic sport! Read on for a list of interesting beach volleyball facts that you can impress your fellow players with.
1. Volleyball was invented in 1895, but the first two-man beach volleyball game as we know it today wasn’t played until 1930.
2. Volleyball became an Olympic sport in 1964, with beach volleyball following in 1992.
3. College beach volleyball became a thing in 2012, but it took another two years for it to become an official NCAA Division-I championship sport.
4. Today, volleyball is the second most popular sport around the world, behind soccer.
5. Over 240,000 girls under 18 play beach volleyball around the United States.
6. Volleyball players jump around 300 times per match.
7. Beach volleyball is the only Olympic sport that has a rule prohibiting players from wearing too much!